On this page we have gathered all information about how you as a data recipient or supplier of trade item information get connected to Validoo’s services. Information about services, conditions and service descriptions can be found here for retailers and here for suppliers.
GLN – a company-specific identifier
GTIN – a trade item-specific identifier
GPC code –A GS1-specific code for product classification
Available environments and identification
You can connect your company to Validoo’s Production environment and Validoo’s PreProd test environment. We recommend that you connect to both environments since it will facilitate testing and verification.
In Validoo your company is identified by a GLN. If you have several communication channels, you will need several GLNs.
You log in to the two environments via our platform. You log in at:
Your user name is your email address.
An API is an interface that enables communication between different systems – between Validoo and your system, in this case. Validoo has several APIs for different information services and protocols, such as webservice (SOAP and REST), AS2, and SFTP.
Information is transmitted in two ways:
- Push – information that matches the recipient’s subscription is sent via a defined communication channel, usually AS2 or SFTP.
- Pull – the receiver downloads current information. This is done using a webservice. For example, the receiver can send a query for trade item information, an image with GTIN, a GLN or a GPC code as a search parameter, and receive an immediate answer. There is a limit on the number of queries, and you store information in your own system.
Communication in the ”Push” workflow
Message-based communication. The receiver subscribes to information and messages are created and placed in a queue.
- AS2 – The receiver sets up an AS2 connector to receive product information. We handle the request and send it back with a receipt. If an error occurs and the information cannot be sent, you can see exactly where in the chain it has been stopped.
- SFTP – The receiver sets up an invididual SFTP and we send the changes and additions that the receiver subscribes to.
- Webservice – Subscriptions can be created via SOAP/REST- API
AS2 – What do I do?
There are many service providers and applications that help with setup and integration of AS2 data communication.
We do not recommend any specific AS2 application, but one such is ArcEsb, which our customers use with positive results.
If you believe your organisation lacks competence in AS2, we recommend that you get help from an external partner with known expertise in AS2 to set up your company’s data communication.
If you have an AS2 connection you need to send a certificate per connection. Once your parameters and certificate have been received, GS1 Sweden sends Validoo’s new certificate to your company’s technical contact person.
Guide to creating certificates
Instructions on how to create a certificate for AS2 connections, for example
Script for creating certificates
Download a script to create certificates.
Manual download of images
You can always use our user interface to search for and download a selection of trade item information and images.
A company that wants to receive trade item information and/or images must actively create subscriptions in Validoo’s services. A subscription is created either for the entirety of a provider’s product line (GLN), for selected product classes (GPC codes), or for individual trade items (GTIN). We recommend that you create subscriptions for entire product lines. Subscriptions are created directly in the user interface, or, to better handle multiple subscriptions, using a webservice that you implement in your system. Creating a subscription ensures that you always have up-to-date information.
GS1 REST Validoo Subscription
REST API for subscriptions (recommended for new customers)
GS1 SOAP Validoo Subscription
SOAP API for subscriptions
What we send
Trade item information
We always send complete trade item information for a GTIN in GS1 XML format. Partial trade item information is not sent.
Images are published based on the chosen subscriptions. File names are defined in each subscription. You choose whether you want images in TIFF, JPEG, and PNG format (for planogram images). An example of a file name: 08717163583555_D1C1. The file name starts with a GTIN followed by its facing direction, angle, etc. Guidelines and Validoo’s requirements for images are available in the Quality assurance rules:
Preparations for a receiving system
To handle trade item information sent from Validoo, you need to first prepare your system. It is important to map out all steps in the process to handle incoming trade item information.
In the Guideline for Trade Item Information are descriptions of what the various attributes mean. The Guideline will help you get acquainted with the information and attributes you wish to use.
The link above also features documents describing how to handle trade item information, business document specifications, mapping specifications, the Validoo Operations Manual and example files.
Keys to success
- Read the service description and conditions for Validoo’s services for data receivers and data suppliers to find out what the service includes and how you can use product information.
- Set aside time to set up communication and create subscriptions. Ensure that there is competence in trade item information, XML, AS2, SOAP/REST, and image formats at your company. You should also review how the information is to be used.
- Read about what applies for trade item information in the Swedish market.
- Read the Validoo Operations Manual.
- Use GS1 Sweden’s Guideline for Trade Item Information to determine which attributes are relevant for you.
- Use GS1 Sweden’s Business Document Specifications to learn how specific attributes are used by Swedish-market users (their repeatability, applicability, etc.)
- Use GS1 Sweden’s mapping specification to learn about connections between attributes, attribute names and xml xpaths.
- Use the xml schema to work with the global standard. Your system must receive trade item information that features more attributes and code values than those specified in the Swedish subset of trade item information. Use the information that is relevant for you.
- Make sure to use current code lists.
- Continually download code values for the Swedish market from gs1.se, where they are available in machine-readable format. We recommend downloading code lists once per day. Note that code lists are adapted to the Swedish market, according to the Swedish subset for trade item information. Providers using a different data pool for trade item information can send code values that are not included in the Swedish subset.
- Ensure that you receive information on new GDSN releases with updated attributes and codes. There are 2-5 releases per year. Information on new releases is available at gs1.se and is also sent to your technical contact person.
Checklist to get started
Choose a service
Take a look at what the services Validoo Supplier, Validoo GDSN Supplier, Validoo Buyer and Validoo Reciever entails and determine which best suits your needs.
Fill in this form and we will contact you with a suggestion.
Make sure your company has a GS1 Company Prefix
Check whether your company has a GS1 Company Prefix (number series). If you subscribe to a GS1 Company Prefix, you will automatically have a Global Location Number (GLN) that identifies you as a buyer in Validoo.
Order a GS1 Company Prefix from GS1 Sweden if you have not already done so.
Signing an agreement
Once you have Validoo Buyer, Validoo Receiver, Validoo Supplier or Validoo GDSN Supplier, you can browse and download product information, and also administer users in Validoo’s production environment.
To administer your users in the PreProd environment (test environment), we will help you create your first user. After that you can administer users yourself, just as you would in the Production environment.
Get your system ready
Prepare your system so that it can handle trade item information sent from Validoo.
Create and verify your data communication solution
Fill in documentation with technical parameters.
Create subscriptions to retrieve the article information you are interested in, either in Validoo’s web interface or via your own web service. If you choose Validoo Buyer you need to let your business contacts know that they must be connected to Validoo or any other GDSN Certified Data Pool with an active connection to Validoo to be able to send their trade item information to your GLN. Contact us beforehand so that we can ensure that we have sufficient resources to be able to answer questions from your providers. Validoo Suppliers retrieves item information for their GLNs, i.e. the GLN:s that Validoo Suppliers are information providers for.
Let us know who your contact people are
Ensure that you have provided us with contact people who will receive:
– information on system status and technical matters
– new releases
– updates on prices and conditions
GS1 REST Validoo Trade Item Information
REST API for trade item information (recommended for new customers)
GS1 SOAP Validoo Trade Item Information
SOAP API for trade item information
GS1 REST Validoo Digital Assets
REST API for product Images (recommended for new customers)
GS1 SOAP Validoo Media Object
SOAP API for product images
GS1 REST Digital Assets Upload
REST API for product images upload (recommended for new customers)
How does sending masterdata via GDSN work?
Validoo is a datapool and is included in the global GDSN (GS1 Data Synchronisation Network) network, which enables sending of masterdata based on the GS1 standard within and between different datapools.